Strategic and Business Planning Services
Focus, Direction, Consensus-building, Prioritization and Process
These are the key elements Practical Healthcare Solutions brings to strategic and business planning engagements. Regardless of where your organization stands in plan development, PHS can step in to facilitate and/or undertake all or a portion of the planning initiatives.
Among the ways PHS can help are:
- Charting the direction
- Organizing and expediting the process
- Galvanizing opinions among participants
- Gathering and/or analyzing information and its implications to help in prioritization and decision-making
- Examining financial impact of various alternatives, reconciling the bottom line with mission and position
- Conducting or reviewing SWOT analyses
- Conducting and/or analyzing research
- Specifying criteria to drive decision-making
- Identifying evaluators to help you measure success on multiple levels
- Preparing a written blueprint and action plan
To accomplish the above, PHS employs a variety of approaches to plan development.
Some of those include:
- Senior management and staff "think tanks"
- Internal and external focus groups
- Statistical analysis
- Competitor research
- Market research
- Regulatory research
- Financial proformas
Whether you are interested in overall plan facilitation, wish to designate specific assignments or require the development of a written document inclusive of goals and objectives, targeted strategies, specific tactics and detailed implementation plans, PHS can accommodate your preferences.
Our strategic and business planning clients are diverse and widespread. They include organizations providing healthcare-related services, healthcare systems, hospitals and payers, as well as physician groups across the country.
Our projects have included
- Strategic planning for the 17-hospital region of a for-profit chain to improve the regional bottom line. Created a Center of Excellence model based on strengths in each locale and a system designed to encourage and secure referrals from within the system.
- Strategic and business planning for regional for-profit emergency physician services company related to pursuing new markets, development of allied products and service diversification.
- For two primary care-based providers (one for profit / one not-for-profit), facilitated strategic planning with Board and Senior Management with regard to potential merger. Included feasibility, consensus development, identification of new lines of business and markets as well as organizational modeling.
- Strategic and business planning for a for-profit behavioral health company with multi-state presence; inclusive of owned behavioral health practices; free-standing inpatient/outpatient facilities. Provided assistance at Board level with regard to acquisition and partnership at regional, facility and clinical levels for a company-wide strategic plan.
- Strategic and business planning related to diversification for purpose of income-producing business lines for seven providers in three states affiliated with a national women's healthcare services organization. Conducted research, facilitated the process, targeted arenas for concentration, developed the appropriate model and infrastructure for a legal entity.
- Conducted strategic and business planning for development of for-profit pharmacy, laboratory, home-care and hospice for healthcare providers not originally in these businesses.
- Strategic planning for alliance of four hospitals in three states for development of a regional home care entity. Project involved feasibility, model for infrastructure, governance, identification of new profitable business lines and a regional market development plan, as well as operations re-engineering to reduce costs.
- For national hospital chain, facilitated strategic planning related to physician relationships, ventures, doctor-based business lines and program development for implementation at owned facilities nationwide.
- For internationally known rehabilitation provider, assisted CEO in strategic plan development inclusive of strategies for securing business apart from traditional inpatient setting (contract management, provider network, new services lines, etc.)
- Strategic business planning for health system in continuing care (assisted living, senior day care, skilled nursing)
- Facilitation of clinical services strategic plan for academic medical center.
- Strategic and business planning for company growth associated with a for-profit brain injury service provider.
- Strategic business plan facilitation for provider of residential services for developmentally disabled clientele.
- Creation of cancer services product lines for several hospitals/systems without formal programs designed to increase revenues through expansion of existing services and development of new ones.